Pages

\

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Guest post: Sarah from Wearing it on My Sleeves



I would like to introduce y'all to the lovely Sarah. She rocks.



Hi I'm Sarah from Wearing It On My Sleeves. I blog all about fashion and life but one of my favorite things to blog about is reviving old dresses that I find at the thrift store. Here's a preview of just a few of my latest revivals.













I wanted to teach you guys a quick reviving technique that you can do without a machine! One of the things that makes the biggest change in the clothing that I fix is changing the length of it. Here's how to fix your own hem by hand.



(hemming pics via)



1. Cut your dress to the desired length and then iron your hem under anywhere from 1/2" to 1"






2. Thread your needle, pin the hem in place, tie a knot at the end of the thread and bring your needle through the hem fabric at a side seam.






3. With your needle grab a small piece of the back fabric.






4. Then grab a small piece of the hem (the portion that's pinned).






5. Continue this same stitching all the way around the skirt






6. Then when you finish stitching all the way around the skirt. Tie a knot at the end of your thread and cut the thread. Then turn your skirt over and check out your beautiful hand sewed hem!






Something as simple as changing the length of the dress can completely change an old thrift store dress to a chic little numba! Enjoy guys!






Thanks so much for having me Ramsey!


Isn't she completely awesome. Thanks girlie!



4 comments:

dani said...

It's awesome that you hem by hand! I never learned to use a sewing machine, so I'm always interested in seeing great hand-sewing! :)

<3 The Daily Dani

Audrey @ Putting Me Together said...

Nice! I'm at war with my sewing machine and never use it, so it's really helpful to see how to hem without a machine. Thanks for the post!

Audrey @ Putting Me Together

Abby said...

now I want to go thrifting! Your creations are amazing!!

marcela said...

I love Sarah's blog ... :)
she's cool, sometimes crazy and pretty :)
http://urbanprettygirl.blogspot.com/