Pages

\

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Cheater Cheater Red Velvet Cupcake Eater

IMG_0584IMG_0585IMG_0579IMG_0587IMG_0580

Shirt: Banana Republic, Shorts: F21, Belt: c/o Madison {Sparkle Designs}, Shoes: UO {$100 summer}, Bag: LV, Jewelry: Thrifted, Guess, Movado, T and Co, F21

To all of you lazy bakers who are bonkers over red velvet but faint at the sight of the mile-long ingredient list thereby associated: the following is your cheaters' guide to a right decent cupcake {It's not Lucy and Leo's. But it ain't bad, folks!}. You are welcome. And your husbands and boyfriends too.

Follow instructions for 1 box of red velvet cake mix. {Ammendment: I would suggest replacing part of the water in the recipe with buttermilk. This is the only thing I would change next time around.} Might I also add that it is amazingly magical to watch the chocolate-looking cake mix turn red when you add liquid? Right back to second grade guys. Then to jazz that mess up, you're going to dump in about 1/3 cup of sour cream. And don't play around with low fat, no fat mess either. Go for the gusto! If you really want to impress, that is. Also sprinkle in about 1 tsp. vanilla extract {Homemade taste in a bottle. My dirty little secret. And you thought I always played nice.} Now you are ready to scoop the batter into your cupcake cups of choice and bake as directed until a toothpick poked around in them comes out nice and clean. Allow to cool. I would suggest doing something super fun and distracting {like a loooong bubble bath} while you wait, so you won't be tempted to rush it. Now for the icing, beat together 1 stick of butter and 1 block of cream cheese. Throw in 1 heaping tbsp. of sour cream for good measure. Now dump in a box of powdered sugar {slowly, lesson learned the hard way} and just let the mixer do it's thang for about 6+ minutes. If you need a little milk down in there, have at it but drizzle sparingly as a little goes a long way. It is an extra pretty process if you have a stand mixer. Especially if it is yellow. Or you can use a hand mixer to pre-burn all of the calories you will soon be eating. Put your fluffy frosting in a pastry bag {if you are Martha Stewart or something, but who are we kidding?!}. Chunk that stuff into a freezer bag, cut a hole in the corner and call it good. Frost all but one cupcake with your makeshift piping bag. Crumble that little cupcake and sprinkle it all over it's fellow brother cupcakes. This makes the cupcakes look super fancy and adds to the foolingness that they are actually from-scratch. Trickay. Extra points if you put them on a pretty tray to make them feel special. Nothing gives a boxed cupcake the warm fuzzies like a pretty tray. Now slap on an apron and call yourself Betty Crocker! Or call yourself Betty White. It's kinda whatever. But do go make these cupcakes.

Love,

Ramsey

31 comments:

The Semi Sweet said...

Sound delicious!! I love red velvet cake:)

And this outfit is super adorable. I love those red heels!

ilene @ muchloveilly said...

such a cute outfit, ramsey! and yes, i am def. the girl that swoons over red velvet cupcakes!!

Kelly said...

Oooh love the outfit. especially the shoes!!!

Anonymous said...

those cup cakes look amazingg! and so does your outfit (:

alittledinasoar.blogspot.com

Darcie said...

Cute outfit and I want to know where this Lucy and Leo's is!

jackie said...

holy yum. my mouth watered just reading this. as soon as i get access to an oven, i'm all over this shiz. thanks dude.

Laynah said...

nom nom nom,
OR I can just go to the nearest cupcakery since I'm so impatient.

I cant get over your shoes, they're to die for.

Dana Richards said...

Oh, so THAT'S how you look stunning in the summer!

Unknown said...

Love love the outfit!

Btw, I'm hosting a GIVEAWAY, you're welcome to participate ;-)

http://gayleswishlist.blogspot.com

Best Foot Forward said...

Love this outfit! Are those UO shoes comfortable? I don't have a very good heel tolerance, but I have a weakness for pretty shoes.

Heather & Justin said...

this outfit is adorable! I've never been able to make cupcakes! I swear I have some kind of bakers block or something! They sound so amazing though. Maybe I'll give it another try with these tips! Seriously though, this outfit is just so cute, and your personality really comes through in the pictures and the combination, which is what makes a good outfit/picture! love it.

-longest comment ever! Heather from lifeofapasseri.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Just this morning was seriously craving some velvet cupcakes, this sounds delish! Loving the pictures those red pumps are cute as cupcakes!

Cess O. <3 The Outfit Diaries

My Life as Whitney said...

I adore red velvet. I am going to make red velvet whoopie pies tomorrow :-)

Lauren Byers said...

love the red heels!! You look adorable :)


Notes She Wrote

Unknown said...

love this outfit... and the cupcakes :) :)

<3 steffy
Steffys Pros and Cons

Laura said...

I am loving this necklace!! And the pop of gold from the belt.

Gentri said...

Those sound and look DELICIOUS!!! YUM! And you look SO cute! Love the outfit!

Stacey Kay said...

You look FANTASTIC in that belt, and those shoes are literally amazing.

xoxo
Stacey Kay
“Runway Inspiration, Vintage Decoration”
Enter ‘Who Wore It Best’ to get a free piece of clothing from Goodwill Huntingg!
Follow my 30 Day Weight Loss Challenge via YouTube
Making crochet cool again – Athene Noctua Crafts
My Vintage Handbag Line

Kathryn said...

The Lucy & Leo cupcakes look delicious, but then again your recipe sounds delicious too. Thanks for sharing!!

Kelly Hicks said...

These pictures are so cute! Love your outfit. The orange shoes are way fun!

steffy said...

Those orange shoes really pop with that outfit!

AND I love baking cupcakes. Red Velvet cupcakes are fun but I hate that I always get the dye on my fingers, somehow.

Rachel said...

You are too cute and those cupcakes look amazing!

Ashley Bagley Nielson said...

You look drop dead gorgeous in this shoot!

Megan said...

MMMM cupcakes...!

LOVE this outfit. So cute; and the photos are lovely. Have a great weekend :)

Unknown said...

Love your shirt! And I always love me some red velvet. I'll have to try this.

Allie Emme said...

very cute outfit! love the red stripes and heels!
xx Allie

Shelby said...

o my goodness! Everything about this post made me smile :) Yummy cupcakes with a crack up recipe to go with! Brilliant!

Bre said...

I am so not a baker but you look super cute and such a cute little cupcake place.
Cheers,
Bre

ashley.warner said...

did you just recently get that top from Banana?! I am loving the RED stripes!

you are too gorgeous for your own good!

leigh ann said...

Woo woo! I love your shoes!
Love, Leigh

Annie said...

so i hopped on over to your blog via Jess LC, and now i'm hooked. :) your style reminds me of Kendi Everyday - love her! so, now curious minds want to know? are you based in little ol' tallahassee, florida?? because i'd recognize that lucy & leo's sign anywhere!