Pages

\

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Ruffle Booty Onsie

So, I just found out that a friend of mine, who is due in June, is having a little girl!!! YAY!!! You know what that means.....I get to make lots of adorable little girly things! Here is project #1: Ruffle Booty Onsie. I'm sure you've seen these around the blogosphere but I will share my variation with you. It is so easy and so cute! I also added a cute little saying to the front of mine using iron-on transfer paper. Ok, enough chit-chat....down to business. You will need a plain white onsie.
This is awesome because it uses up those scrap pieces that you fabric hoarders have packed away. Cut three pieces of fabric that are about twice as wide as you want the finished ruffles to be and twice as long as your onsie. Iron the outside ends in, toward the wrong side of fabric (see picture) and iron the fabric in half with right sides facing.
Sew a seam long-ways (I don't think that is a word, but you know what I mean) down the fabric strip.

Use a safety pin to turn the "tube" inside out. Pin it to one end of the strip and feed it through the middle, continuing until the pin comes out the other end and the tube is right-side out.


Once it's right-side out, iron the strip flat. Sew a basting stitch down the center so that you can form the ruffles. I sewed a basting stitch by hand and all you really have to do is thread your needle in and out using even stitches.


Use the width of the back of your onsie to judge the width you need the ruffle to be and tie off the end.




Pin the ruffle to the onsie (I was paranoid my ruffles would slip, so I got a little pin happy.) Once it's pinned in place, sew a seam down the middle over your basting stitch with a sewing machine. I have a tendency to get overly excited and go too fast, don't do that...go slowly.



You know that song, Henry the 8th...2nd verse, same as the first...cricket cricket... ok, well this is the same concept. The second ruffle works the same as the first. Repeat once more for the third ruffle. This is seriously easy and quite quick.






And as if this wasn't cute enought to scarf up already, I added an adorable little saying to the front. I think it really amped up the cute factor, don't you? I have a tutorial on how to make iron-on transfers for tote bags here if you've never done it before, but its super easy.

Cutie Patootie!!! Can't wait to see it on a precious little one!

Love to you guys,
Ramsey
Linking to:

DIY Day @ ASPTL

0 comments: