Pages

\

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Resolutions

IMG_6129

Shirt: Gap, Sweater: F21, Scarf: Nine West, Jeggings: Old Navy, Shoes: Gift, fabulous local boutique (Brooke and Nicole), Vest: Belk, Earrings: F21, Watch: c/o Mimi's

IMG_6130


IMG_6131


IMG_6135


IMG_6137


IMG_6142



I resolved not to make any resolutions this year, rationale being that I make them every year and all I'm left with come the end of January is a broken pile of promises and a guilty gut. And so I won't make any promises to get in shape or run every day or learn to cook something new or improve my {fill in the blank} skills. But I believe I will, in fact, weaken my resolve not to resolve. I have spent this Christmas holiday soaking in all of the goodness it has to offer. I haven't turned down plates of goodies, fires in the fireplace even if the weather is too hot to justify their existance, cup after cup of soul-soothing hot tea, kisses to furry puppy faces, staying up too late and going to bed too early, wearing yoga pants, opportunities to go shopping with mom instead of doing laundry, falling asleep on the sofa to the light of the Christmas tree, breakfasts with Mamaw and Aunt Essie, not setting an alarm, and an overall zeal for each day that, for me at least, is territory that has not been trod in the last few months. So my resolution of sorts is to allow the happiness...no, the joy...that has filled me from head to toe over the past few weeks to spill over into the post-holiday season. And to not feel guilty for taking time to "waste" on things that make me feel full and happy. Like a trip to Dollar Tree to spend 15 minutes debating whether to purchase a pack of colorful, striped pencils. Or a morning of coffee and muffins with all of the women of the family at our favorite local bakery. Because there is beauty in those simple moments that completely defies the pretty walls of productivity. I am comitting myself to time "well wasted" and to allowing myself to thoroughly enjoy the experience sans the usual side dish of guilt. Will I need reminding of this once the week after next rolls around and I'm back to the books plus one more class than last semester thrown in for good measure? Yes. And if you guys want to chime in and keep me accountable, chime away.

My uncle was in town visiting for Christmas last week, telling us of an trip he'd taken and he said something along the lines of, "usually you don't realize how great moments were until you look back later in life, but you know those times when you look around and actually realize how great of a time you're having while it's happening? That is truely an amazing feeling." And that part of the story stuck with me. Because that elated feeling of I'm so happy right now has been hovering around this season like a coat of morning fog and I'm not ready to let it go. I want to realize how wonderful a moment is when it's happening. I want to "waste" time being happy. So I learned how to make friendship bracelets with my sister last night and, for the record, we stink at it, but it was awesome. Plus we looked mighty gangsta in our awesome crotch-dangling pants, see below exhibit:

IMG_6147

And I spent a good 30 minuts just browsing the aisles of my newest favorite dollar store for nothing in particular and spending the very thoughtful Christmas giftcard from my sister on new "office" organizing supplies. And I went to the movies with mom to see New Years Eve, which was the perfect, cheesy blend of funny, Cinderella story, and heartwarming tearjerker all wrapped up in a neat two-hour package and sprinkled with our favorite stars. And I am happy. Nestled right in the now.

Happy New Year lovelies! May your hopes, dreams, and plans for 2012 come true and may you ring in the new year in a most satisfying manner!
Love,

Ramsey

22 comments:

My Life as Whitney said...

Love this post. Favorite new years post that's for sure :) happy 2012!

JoaNNa said...

glad that you're having a great time! cute outfit you have there! love the scarf!

happy new year!! all the best! xo

Cassi said...

I love this idea of soaking up the happiness as a "resolution" AND I love that you have a mamaw too :) No one out West has a mamaw! I just get these funny stares when I mention her...haha. Happy New Years!

Jelena Zivanovic said...

Happy New 2012 Year Ramsey, I wish u all the best!
kisses
Jelena (glamfabchameleon.blogspot.com)

Dee Paulino said...

happy new year pretty lady!

Mrs. Nielsen said...

Love the post! You're just darling and I hope you and all of us, really, relish in the sweet moments of life. Happy New Year!

Stephanie and Such said...

cute heels!!

happy new year!!

hannahstiff said...

Love those shoes. Happy New Year! I always resolve not to resolve too much, but it inevitably happens... Xo

real budget, real busy, real body fashion:
4scarlet.com

Katie said...

I agree with you with not making a huge list of things to do this year. I think if we say yes to new opportunities and soak in all the good things life has to offer then we're becoming better each year. Happy New Year!

Kelly C said...

I love this post. Its such an encouragement to enjoy the time at the moment, and not look towards the next thing but soak up the goodness of whats happening! Thanks for an amazing reminder!

jackie said...

those moments are my fave. soak them up lady :)

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year to you!

Anonymous said...

Great New Year's post! I love your outfit, too - especially the scarf!

xo,
Hannah

www.chillairandperfume.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Happy new year girly! You look adorable as always, love the heels :)

katie said...

I went into my new year relaxing: reading, warm clothes that make me feel good, and a movie. After months of applications, papers, and finally graduating from university, my idea of a new year's resolution is to just relax a little and give myself a break. :) p.s. your shoes are toooooo good!

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of have no resolution, I also find myself making resolutions each year only to realize I didn't even make it one month into the resolution. Funny how those resolutions work!I stumbled upon your blog and thought your blog name was precious considering I just recently got married & my new last name is Ramsey!

Happy New Year

Courtney

Emily said...

So lovely, happy 2012 (:

Unknown said...

HOLY MOLY - I love your shoes. They're AH-MAZING.

Following :)

Justyn

thoughtsbyapetitebrunette-mrslord.blogspot.com

Annie said...

Cuuuuuute outfit! Love those heels :)And love what your uncle had to say...so true!

Annie
The Other Side of Gray

Katie said...

what a great post. totally agree with what your uncle said. those are THE best moments of all when you can actually say holy crap this is the best d*** day ever ;)

I hope you get to feel that feeling an infinite amount of times throughout 2012.

-Katie

Lindsey A. Turner said...

Cute outfit! I love your shoes! Happy New Year!

Lindsey Turner
http://thriftandshout.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

This is such a great outfit! I love your style and especially your shoes!