Pages

\

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I'm still here...somewhere

Hi all! OK, so I definitely have let the old blog go for the past [I'm scared to admit how long] but if you will take me back, I will [try] to do better! I miss you all and I still stalk your wonderful creativeness when I have time to craft or simply have time to daydream about crafting. School and photography have kept me BUSY over the last few months, but both are coming along and maybe we will see an official Ramsey Revell Photography sometime in the near future!


Christmas is just around the corner, so I hope to post more often when I make it to the big breakaroo because I will definitely be making some goodies this year. No, I have not started yet. Yes, I know it's late. Yes, I will cram all of my crafting, baking, and candlestick making into approximately one week. I cram, it's what I do.


Since I am enjoying a leisurely morning on the old computer, I thought I would share the to do list for the hollydays!


1. Devour Country Living and Southern Living Christmas issues

2. Bake some yummy bread from said issues

3. Bake Mexican wedding cookies

4. Make the famous Christmas Crack

5. Enjoy an unhealthy amount of apple cider (doesn't an apple a day keep the doctor away?)

All of these seem to be about food so far, so:

6. Make those cute rosette necklaces and headbands for all the ladies in my family

7. Make some notebooks for friends

8. Sew some cute clutches for Christmas gifts

9. Get last minute shopping DONE

10. Nap, spend time cuddling around a fire, nap some more


Now, for all of you who have made it through this insanely long and likely boring post, I have a reward. I am going to share with you the recipe for my grandmother's Lemon Cheese Cake. I would never share this recipe with someone locally, heaven forbid they show up at the same event or bake sale with my cake! (You know how we southern women are about our recipes.) But, since you presumably will not hunt me down and bring my recipe to an event where I happen to be, here it is. Use it well, it is an amazing recipe passed down from an amazing woman.

Sasa's Lemon Cheese Cake


(Also, this is not a cheesecake that I happened to misspell the title to. We have no idea why it's called cheese cake because it has absolutely no cheese in it.)


Mix:


1 box Duncan Hines Butter Recipe Golden Cake Mix (this is what I use, you can use any brand)

1 cup oil

1 cup sour cream

4 egg whites (save 3 of the yolks)

1/2 tsp vanilla


Grease and flour three cake pans and bake cake at 350 for 20 minutes.


Filling:


3 lemons

1 1/2 cups sugar

3 tbsp cornstarch

3 tbsp flour

1 1/2 cups water

1/2 stick butter or margarine

reserved egg yolks


Zest lemons and then halve and juice them. Place zest and juice in pot with sugar, cornstarch, flour, water, and butter. Bring mixture to a boil. Stir until it begins to thicken. Beat egg yolks and add to hot mixture (tempering in). Return to stove until thickened. Allow mixture to cool and ice cake.


This is a bit of a process, but I PROMISE it is worth it!!! Please give it a go and let me know what you think. Maybe I will post some more good ole family recipes as the Christmas holidays draw near!

I am off for a run because I need to work off the calories that I will be consuming today as I make Lemon Cheese Cake, muffins, and cookies.


I hope you all have a stupendous Thanksgiving holiday!!!


I will leave you with a picture of my little helper for the day and my motivator, Cutter.


Much love to y'all!!

Ramsey

0 comments: